Tuesday 11 August 2015

Liberty Skirt

It's a long time since I had my sewing machine out. Too long. More than a year I think. I'm not an experienced seamstress and really would prefer to sew by hand. Machines scare me a little. I'd love to be able to sew more of our own clothes but I don't have the patience to learn. 


I found this pretty Liberty print fabric in a vintage shop last summer and thought I could use it to make a simple skirt for Alba. Finally today I decided to dust off the sewing machine and get started. 



I got as far as measuring and cutting the fabric before this monkey woke from her afternoon nap. 



We abandoned the sewing and headed out to the park to enjoy the late afternoon sun. 


And Alba's skirt will have to wait for another day...........

Love

Sarah Elizabeth

x

PS. If anyone has good tips or websites to help novice dressmakers please share them in the comments below.  

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I haven't done any sewing for years and then it was curtains, pillow cases and easy stuff like that.

I can only suggest you try the machine on a cut-off of material to get the tension right. :)

Good luck, it's very pretty material.

Amanda said...

I love the fabric you've chosen. I made my girls a simple skirt each too a few months back and Sophie's choice was Liberty fabric too. They were worn over and over in the warmer months with a simple singlet, and now that it's cooler, have had leggings underneath with a knit on top.